Friday, November 8, 2013

Top 5... Holiday Decorations

I don't tend to decorate with each holiday or season -- the most I do is change out my lightweight summer quilt for a heavier one -- but Christmas is an exception. The whole family gathers at my house on Christmas morning, so it's really fun to show off some different decor. I tend to gravitate to metallics over the traditional red and green -- shocking, I know.

I even have a gold Christmas tree. These aren't the best photos -- I can't remember exactly WHY there are balloons -- but you'll get the idea of how it looks close-up (I've miss my sweet cats so much while we've been in Australia -- aren't they cute?) and all decorated. As much as my OCD side would like to decorate the tree in stunning, coordinated gold and silver baubles, the kids would never go for that, so mismatched ornaments, some decades old, others handmade in class, cover our tree. And there's something just as gorgeous about that too.



Every year, I add a few new holiday items to my stash. Here's what I've got my eye on this year.

1. This disco gnome from CB2. It's hard to justify $129 for an 18" glittery gnome that I'll only use for a month a year, but he's so awesome that I might just have to leave him out year round. CB2 always has really great holiday items -- especially if, like me, you prefer metallics and white. 


Best of all, there is a Crate & Barrel outlet across the street from my office (!!!) so I can usually snap up items in January cheap for the next year. Ornaments get priced as low as 50 cents, so I'll grab a handful for gift toppers. The mini disco balls are great for all gift-giving occasions (and cute on the tree too, or stacked in a clear glass vase). They even come in gold now! Joy.

2. White faux-fur tree skirt from West Elm. I have wanted a faux-fur tree skirt since I got my gold tree in 2011. I even shopped around for a faux fur throw I could wrap around the base, but this tree skirt is much better and a good buy (at $69, it's nearly half the price of the almost identical one offered by West Elm's big brother, Pottery Barn). It will get cat hair all over it -- the kitties love hiding under the tree when it's all lit up -- but that's why we have washing machines.


3. We usually add a few special ornaments to our tree each year. I'm bringing home a nice little silver Sydney Opera House ornament as a souvenir, and while I'm at West Elm, I'll grab a couple of the bottle brush ornaments, especially the little fox. My daughter and I both love foxes -- we have a "pet" fox who lives in our backyard woods -- so she will love this. Maybe the little polar bear for my son?



4. I've been half-heartedly looking for new stockings for a few years now. I like the style of the ones we have now, but not the color scheme (green and dark pink/magenta). The trouble is finding ones I like (stylish, white or at least neutral, personalizable, and still cute enough to appeal to kids). I think I've hit the jackpot this year at Land of Nod. Look at all the options! Please don't show my daughter the fox design! The gray cable knit is my current favorite, maybe mixed in with the Lacy Stocking as in this photo? They aren't able to be customized, though....



5. OK, this isn't strictly decor, but I've got to include it for some comic relief. Every year since their dad and I split up, the kids and I have gotten matching Christmas pajamas. 2013 will the the fifth year we've done it, and someday I plan to make a quilt out of swatches from all the different pairs. It's getting harder to find options that are suitable for a little boy, almost-tween girl, and an adult woman. We've had luck in the past with Lands End, Garnet Hill, and LL Bean, but this year we just couldn't find something both kids liked. Until we hit Hanna Andersson. 

I was thinking we'd go with their classic striped long johns, but then my son spotted this Star Wars-themed pattern.

Oh, too bad, I told him, the kids' size won't fit me. Surely it doesn't come in adult sizes. Look, mama, it does!, he replied, pointing to the "Match with Family" photos below. His sister loved it too, so I will soon be the proud wearer of Star Wars Christmas PJs. I did manage to convince them to let me get just the pants and pair them with a nice solid red top. Gotta maintain some style where you can.

What's on your holiday decor wish list?

No comments:

Post a Comment