Tuesday, November 5, 2013

The (Soon-to-Be) Triumphant Return of Amateur Decorator

I'm back! Well, almost. You see, I have a totally legit reason for my latest absence -- I've been living in Australia!

It's been fun -- I'm sure we'll talk about it more in future posts -- but we're heading back to the USA next month and I can't wait to get back to my house! I've been living in a furnished condo in Australia (on the beach, but still!), so I've done no decorating, and more to the point, no home-related shopping at all! Not buying furniture is a great way to save money, but it's torture for someone like me, whose main hobby is messing around with things around the house.

My Pinterest is full of wish list items, from new wood floors to a Garnet Hill bedspread I've been eyeing for years, to a inspiration photo for the dining banquette I'm planning.

2014 is shaping up to be an expensive year. Here's what I'm coveting...

1. A new room for Lulu. I promised her when she was 7 that I would redecorate her room for her when she turned 10. I can't believe that day is so close! She wants an aqua room with a black chalkboard accent wall with zebra-stripe bedding. We're going to sell her little-girl furniture (from the awesome Rachel Ashwell Shabby Chic line at Target) and use the money to buy a storage bed and headboard from Ikea. I'll give her my Ikea Expedit shelving and get the desk extension that goes with it for her craft projects. I'm really excited to give her a modern, 'pre-teen' look!

2. Wood floors, wood floors, wood floors! I've been patiently waiting, but it's been more than three years since I bought my house and the time has come. I WILL get new floors this year! I've also got my heart set on, er, heart pine, but with a concrete slab, it may not be possible. I'm hopeful I can find a good engineered look-a-like.


3. New rugs for said new floors. I'm craving white cowhide in the living room, either a traditional shape or perhaps something like the woven one below from Serena & Lily, which is more cream and gray than the tannish color it looks here.


4. A dining room banquette. At some point this year, I want to take down the wall that separates the kitchen from the dining room. Eventually, I envision an island/peninsula there, with stools for the kids to sit and do homework while I cook. To keep the dining room from being too cramped, I'm planning to create a corner banquette kind of like this one, with drawers or shelves under the bench for storage.



5. A new kitchen, though this will likely be a project for 2014. I am thinking gray Ikea cabinetry on the bottom, open shelving on the top, and quartz or granite countertops that mimic gray and white marble. I'll carry the wood flooring through the kitchen from the dining room.

That's all for now, though I'm sure the list will get longer once I get back in the house. I'm already thinking I'll move around all the artwork and play with some different furniture arrangements. There will be lots to show you soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment